Eph. 1:19-20; 3:20; 6:10
We live in a power conscious age. But often our lives are like the factory where they had more machinery, than power. In this umbrella factory often people did not get to work more than 4 to 6 hours out of a shift because they had to ration the power around to different parts of the factory. How like many Christians and churches today... the big lack is divine power.
Power is what we need today, what every Christian needs; what todays church needs.When we study the Word of God we come to the conclusion that David knew the power of God, Gideon knew the power of God, and also Peter and Paul knew the power of God.
All of us would possibly agree the power of God in this day is one of our greatest needs. Far too often Churches of today have little influence because of little power. The demonstration of the power of God is lacking today and it is sorely needed.
Powerlessness is evidenced in our powerless living, our powerless testimony among the lost our lack of impact on the lost around us; When a car lacks power we will find the source. We know it was build to have power, also the Lord wants us to know His power. Man longs for power, influence and ability. It is not wrong to desire Divine power for Gods glory and for the good of mankind.
A man was visiting the Niagara Falls. As looked upon it he stated that here was the greatest amount of unused energy he had ever seen. A pastor near by stated that he knew of even a greater source of unused power -- the power of God in the life of the average Christian.
I. WE MIGHT KNOW THE POWER OF GOD IN DAILY LIFE: Eph. 1:19-20
Here is something God wants us to know by experience for we are bidden to know our Masters provision. We are to sit with Him, to daily experience HIS power.
A. Meaning of this power!
Paul used many difference words form the Greek vocabulary to get his point across....
1. dunamis -- power as in dynamo, and dynamite;
2. energeia -- working as in energy;
3. kratos -- mighty;
4. ischus -- power
The verse could be translated...What is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the operation of the might of His strength.
5. This is a power that is inherently Gods power of surpassing, incalculable greatness. It speaks of the full strength of His might.
6. We are to know the measure of Gods power, a supernatural power. God would have us see and know how great that power is to accomplish His purposes in us, for us, and through us.
7. Here is power for every need -- all sufficient for every demand put upon it by the saved. We are to appropriating His wealth, walking in the power at our disposal as we wrestling with our battles in HIS might.
8. Here is available a power that is -- surpassing, limitless and ours in Him.
B. Manifesting His Power in US -- for daily life:
Only His power can lift us from the mundane, the place of failure or inability. No true believer should doubt Gods power. Consider Gods creative power in nature.
See God revealed in His deliverance of Israel from bondage in Egypt. Surely these are a witness of His glorious power that is also seen in our salvation.
His power is guaranteed today for you, for me, as the counter working force over sin habits, over the flesh, carnal nature; over evil in us, over every foe.
C. Measure of that power... for you for me:
1. The power that was manifested in Christs resurrection, in His exaltation, ascension, Lordship, and headship.
2. Power inexhaustible -- the dead and buried Son is RAISED.
3. The only hindrance is found in us as we limit God. Too often we do not trust HIM to work His mighty power in us, personally.
4. This is a power tested, proven, able to work in us as it wrought in Christ.
5. Do we trust His power as the source to conquer all our foes?
6. Do we break with our old habits of sin, and know deliverance because of His power?
7. Do I trust Him to be all He wants to be IN ME?
Dare I live above my handicaps in my circumstances in daily life? God gives the measure of His Power as He tells us what He wrought in Christ -- will you and trust Him for this power in us?
II. WE MIGHT KNOW THE POWER OF GOD IN OUR PRAYER LIFE: Eph. 3:20, 21
Just what do you believe God is able to do? Just what do you need? What do you expect God to do? Paul had prayed for certain things, how can these things be? God is able to do....!
A. God is able to DO --
1. Our petition, however great, can never exceed Gods ability to grant.
2. God is not reluctant, unwilling, not desiring to answer your prayers!
3. By Gods power, every saint has been lifted up from the deepest sin, from horrible depths to highest heights in Christ. (Psa. 40:1-3)
4. We have been put IN CHRIST, to receive as a member of His body, His flesh, His bones... a habitation of God through the Spirit.... Surely, such a God who has made us new creatures desires to answer our cries.
B. Able to DO Above --
1. What have you asked, what are your desires flooded from your heart? Do you dare to voice them?
2. Does He have the power to do what ever we need? Does He care? Above all power -- scarcely have we tapped the power of God. For He is able to do above, to do abundantly above ALL we ask or think.
3. Gods power is not exhausted. There is a vast residue of power unused by Gods people. Our unbelief stifles our thinking, our asking.
4. We limit the power of God, the ability of God to do for us, in us and through us His will and plan for His glory. We desire and God is there but we lack childlike trust.
5. He desires to do -- above, surpassing our fondest imagination, our highest aspirations, our most concentrated thinking, our most earnest petition.
C. According to the power that worketh in us
1. God never bestows upon us anything above our capacity to receive, to exercise by faith.
2. Divine power is according to the measure of faith on our part... our trust, our yieldedness, our submissiveness, our obedience.
3. The Promiser provides the power in a Person, the Holy Spirit, in ourselves for He abides in us, to pray within us... to lead us... to help us pray with great faith. Ye have not, because ye ask not! James. 4:2
4. His power is broken by our unbelief, unconfessed sin, careless living, worldliness in action or attitude for all of these can rob us of power.
III. WE MIGHT KNOW THE POWER OF GOD FOR WARFARE: Eph. 6:10 -- 18
We are in Christ, seated with Christ, in heavenly places, above the enemy, yet we daily must face our foes: Satan, the world, and the flesh.
The balance of this section of Scripture deals with the struggle every Christian faces, none can escape it. Satan aims his darts at every saint of God for every saved person must face the foe.
A. Be Strong in the Lord and the power of His might:
1. Best of us are ill-filled to face the foe.
2. All of us will fail in our own strength; we must be exhorted about the place of our strength.
3. We are called upon to stand, to stand therefore, having done all to stand.
4. Weapons must be taken up... this will call for strength in the Lord.
5. No weaklings can stand against the infernal foe -- Satan.. but we are assured of Gods mighty power; it is at our disposal.
6. It is good that we recognize and thoroughly understand our own deficiency, and His sufficiency. To be endued with His strength -- His power...
7. Our position is in the Lord, like the strength of the arm is dependent upon its position in the body. (Phil. 4:13)
B. Dont trust your own ability, strength:
1. Christ said, The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!
2. Paul said, I know that in me, that is my flesh, dwelleth no good thing!
3. Jere 17:9 The heart is deceitful, and desperately wicked.
4. Our natural courage is as perfect cowardice for it is natural for us to fail -- to not resist sin to fail to strive and stand.
5. Trust His power... ALONE... strength for suffering, for victory, for acting, for standing. Therefore, stand!
Sermon by Dr. Edward Watke Jr.---- Revival in the Home Ministries, Inc.